“Travel light” has not always been my motto. I once checked a bag that weighed 72 pounds! And that was not my only piece of luggage! Whether traveling domestic or abroad I felt I needed to take everything I could…. Just in case. I mean, I definitely wanted to make sure I had the right clothing and shoes for any occasion that may come up.
My husband and I travel frequently for business and pleasure. Six to 8 times a year we take week-long trips in our RV across the USA for competition shooting events. Just about every-other weekend we take short (3-4 hour) driving trips to baseball tournaments and stay in hotels. And, a few times a year we travel by air for business trips or vacation. So, it has become imperative that I become a good and efficient packer. And, it’s also become important to pack light and not take everything I own! Getting to the point of packing light has taken me years of traveling. It also has taken personal growth and self-confidence… I mean, who cares if I wear the same bathing suit twice? Who cares if I wear the same shoes to dinner each night? I can look nice and appropriate for each situation and not have an entire bag full of shoes.
Recently, I was blessed to be rewarded by my company with a fantastic all inclusive trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. My friend Megan and I decided we were not going to check any luggage. Perhaps the biggest reason was that our husbands didn’t think we could! … But here are 3 more reasons we were up to the challenge and determined to travel right and pack light.
3 Reasons to Pack Light:
#1 – Save Time. We knew we would get in and out of the airport easier with just your carry on bags. We did not have to stand in lines to check luggage. We did not have to find a cart or pay for a cart to haul tons of bags. And, we did not have to wait at our destination to claim our baggage. This meant, we walked off the plane and moved quickly and easily through customs and out of the airport to the waiting transportation. While others were still waiting on luggage, we were on our way to the resort. We checked in and had time to change and relax a minute at the resort before our evening sunset cruise!
#2 – Save Money. Some airlines charge for each checked bag. We definitely saved money by packing light. (We also saved money by not shopping; because, we didn’t have any room to bring it back anyway. And, again… we surprised our hubbies.)
#3 – Have what you need when you get there. Can you imagine getting to your destination without your luggage? We had friends on this most recent trip whose luggage didn’t make it. They paid over $300 for clothing at the resort. And, They spent countless hours talking to the airline and worrying instead of having fun and relaxing. Their luggage arrived the evening prior to our departure to come back home. So, packing light will assure you have what you need when you get where you are going.
Here are my TOP 5 TIPS to TRAVEL RIGHT & PACK LIGHT!
1. Consider the purpose of your trip. Obviously, traveling in our RV to shooting events requires completely different clothing than a 4 day beach trip. So, consider where you are going, what you will be doing there and what you need for each activity. Think about it and then write it down… which is step #2.
2. Have a Master Packing List. These are the essentials. I have a master packing list that is the basics for any trip. Keep this checklist on your phone or tablet. Or, print it out and check it off as you pack. There are some great apps for packing lists as well. Use whatever floats your boat. CLICK HERE for the Trip List app.
3. Take travel size toiletries. Only take what you need. I pack samples of cosmetics like foundation and skin care. I purchase small travel size items of everything I need. When traveling to hotels, I check before I go and see what products they provide. One resort I went to provided all Chi hair and body products, as well as a Chi flat iron. Knowing that ahead of time saved lots of space in my bag. CLICK HERE for the TSA Liquids Rule.
4. Use individual disposable items. Items that are individually packaged can be taken in just the right quantities. And, anything you can take and throw away will free up room and lighten up your bag when coming home. For example, when traveling, I like using disposable makeup wipes and a razor. I also take exactly the number of vitamin supplements I will need. I use premium vitamins, protein shakes, and energy drinks that are individually packaged. CLICK HERE to learn more about the premium nutritional supplements I use.
5. Do not take a lot of shoes. Shoes take up lots of space and many are heavy. Really consider what you will be doing and take shoes you can wear with multiple outfits. Even this last trip, I took too many. I had one pair of shoes I had planned to wear and I forgot to change before heading out the door. So, obviously, I could have done without them.
Megan and I had a fantastic trip! We both had everything we needed including beach wear, cute clothes for couple of parties, and nice dresses for restaurants with a dress code. Enjoy these pics from our fantastic getaway! And, if you want to know more about how you can feel fabulous and earn awesome vacations… just contact me by CLICKING HERE or check out my Top 5 Reasons why I love my company by CLICKING HERE.